Thursday, November 5, 2009

I took Nan to the doctor this morning. She's had some questionable-looking toenails for some time now, and I decided to ignore her suggestion that we simply just avoid touching them until they feel better. I was right-- her big toes have infected nails, and the doctor recommended that we give her an antibiotic and soak the toes in epsom salts, then head to a podiatrist(!!) to get the nails cut. As the doctor said, "I don't wanna mess with that." When she prescribed the antibiotics, I heaved a huge internal sigh. Nan HATES the taste of the antibiotics, and we haven't found a flavor that makes it more palatable. And this particular medicine is to be taken THREE TIMES A DAY for TEN DAYS. Not sure what I've done to Dr. O to make her hate me, but it must've been bad. I broke out the bubble-gum flavored bottles from the pharmacy bag, and Nan started backing away, shaking her head "NOOOO" and covering her mouth with both hands. I used my firmest voice to order her to stay still and try it, and she let half a teaspoon dribble out of her mouth as she wailed at the injustice of being forced to take such swill. I sternly ordered her to the sink, where I washed us both off and administered the remainder of the dose. Sigh. Looking forward to repeating this three times a day for ten freaking days. But, we did manage to hit the office on a day that they had H1N1 flu-mist available, so she's vaccinated. And it was painless. Thank God. I'm a little irritated that I, as a person with a suppressed immune system, cannot go the mist route for my vaccination this year, but must be stuck with the needle. No fair. I find I'm dragging my feet in finding somewhere to get myself vaccinated-- I do so hate needles, and I have never taken the flu vaccine before. But. This year's strain is particularly bad, and if I get sick, I can't take care of the kid. That's the ONLY reason I've entertained the thought of getting one. I suppose I should suck it up and call our family doctor, and try to get in one morning while Nan's at school. It sucks to be a grownup.

No comments: