Saturday, May 30, 2015

Today, my kid and I experienced the kind of torrential rain that leaves you soaked to the skin, hair dripping, shoes squelching, shivering, and all-over miserable.  Twice.   Within about four hours.  The first time, we were caught at the grocery store without umbrellas or rain jackets, and we chose to sprint to the car rather than wait for the storm to pass.  (This was wise, as the rain didn't let up until we'd been home for about twenty minutes.)  The second time, we were a little better prepared, with umbrellas and hoodies, so we didn't require a complete wardrobe change and a hair dryer when we arrived at our destination.  It was weirdly exhilarating, resigning ourselves to the inevitable, plunging in even though we knew we'd be dripping. Nan said (after our first dousing), "I don't EVER WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN."  I laughed, and told her it would-- you can't avoid it without living in a bubble.  We giggled as we tried to decide which of us was wetter (me-- I had to sacrifice myself to get the groceries in the car), and we both sighed with relief as we changed into warm, dry clothes.  We spent the next two hours working on the last school project of the year (a story for another time-- I'm pretty sure her teacher is trying to kill me DEAD)  and all was peaceful.   It was one of the nicest afternoons we've had in awhile. d

No comments: