Thursday, January 13, 2011

I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I've finished my medical billing and coding classes-- almost two years after beginning, it took about a year longer than anticipated-- and now I am awaiting the membership paperwork to AHIMA, the association that administers the certification exam for coders. When the membership comes through, I will get a discount on the exam and the study materials. In the meantime, I've been flipping through my dusty coding books and panicking. When I'm not doing that, I'm trolling the medical coding jobs on CareerBuilder and panicking. I'm afraid. I'm afraid I won't be able to find a job, and if I do find a job, I'm afraid I won't be able to work from home, and if I DO find a work from home job, I'm afraid I won't do it well. I find myself drifting toward the safe, familiar accounting jobs. I find myself contemplating part-time receptionist work. All these choices loom, and it's scary. Nan goes to kindergarten in the fall. She'll be leaving the safe harbor of her familiar preschool and jumping into the big-kid school. I know she'll be great-- she's excited, and she makes friends easily-- but the prospect of my baby being thrust into this big building induces anxiety in me. I cannot imagine her boarding a school bus-- they're so big! She's so small! I have about eight months to really work myself up into a frenzy about this.
In the meantime, there are other worries. We are awaiting the arrival of the plumber. Our plumber is lovely. He looks like Santa Claus, and is just as friendly. He's been coming to our aid since we had our first big leak in our slab, when I was very pregnant with the girl. He's reasonably priced, and generally reliable. However, I have just learned from his equally lovely wife that he was called away on an emergency. A more significant emergency than my wet closet. Sigh.

No comments: