Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Halloween is creeping up, and I've got a lot to do. I have to put the finishing touches on Nan's WordGirl outfit, and I have a lot of cooking to do for our Halloween party on Saturday. (Yes, it's the day AFTER Halloween, but I wanted to have a party. So there.) I have a tendency to take on too much, because I am a control-freak beyond all control-freaks. I have delegated a few tasks, but I'm taking on the brunt of the food. I'm cooking chili-- meatful and meatless-- and cornbread, a few appetizers and a grownup dessert. And possibly 18 sugar cookies if no one else steps up to bring them. I am crazy. Oh, and I'm planning the crafts for the children and the decorating. The list-making alone has made me nuts. Why, oh why, do I do this? Because I love it. I love getting people I love together, to eat and laugh and drink and play. I love seeing the kids I haven't seen in almost a year, I love watching the pack of children run around like lunatics. We usually do this at Christmas time, but it's gotten so busy at that time of year that we decided to move it to Halloween. I am looking forward to a more casual, laid-back meal, and hopefully I can get everything done.
Nan keeps changing her mind about her outfit-- she has decided to be a pumpkin, a pirate, and a cucumber, just today. I keep gently guiding her back to the outfit that we've already put together-- she WILL BE WORDGIRL. Too damned bad, kid. Next year, you get a little more autonomy re. your Halloween costume. For now? I still have some say in her ensemble. Thank god.

No comments: