Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm sitting in the quiet of Nan's room. She's having trouble falling asleep, so I sit. I sit and I rock and I type. This is a chance for me to study my girl close-up, without her speeding away. She's looking less like a baby and more like a girl every day. There are still traces of baby in her cheeks, and her sturdy legs, still... but she's growing up. And I'm generally okay with that. As long as I can sometimes sneak in and study her. It's hard to give up my baby. But I'm infinitely proud of the girl she's well on the way to become. I'm proud of her kindness, her sense of humor, her sweetness. I'm proud of her stubbornness, even when it's me she's stubbornly fighting. I'm proud of my big girl. She's finally settling into her nap, so I could head back to my desk. But I think I'll sit for a bit longer. For now, I'm welcome in her room. I know the day will come when my presence will be an irritant. But for now... I rock. And I sit. And I study.

1 comment:

melissa said...

I spent the weekend with Evan in my lap. I kept thinking that someday he'll want nothing to do with this... I couldn't bring myself to doing much at all this weekend. It was too nice to just hold him.