Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I managed to finish my book club book late last night. I am reaffirmed in my choice of Tom Robbins' "Skinny Legs and All"-- it is a truly fantastic book. It's fun, and funny, and full of things that make you think. This is a wonderful quality for a book to possess-- except when
it's 11:45 p.m. and you're ready to sleep. I ended up lying in bed, awake,
for far longer than I wished, thinking. Thinking, thinking, thinking. My brain is always busiest in the dark, when it SHOULD be resting. I mentally compose emails, write grocery lists, and extensive to-do lists. People to call, chores to accomplish. My husband lays down at the end of the day, closes his eyes, and sleeps. I am absolutely incapable of this. I think of all the things going on for the next few weeks, and try to plot more fun stuff. Then, I move on to the worries. Money, the potential slow leak in the slab in the master bathroom, money, Natalie's NEVER-ENDING cold, money, the stupid cat who pees in the hallway, money, the apparent oil leak in my car, and, of course, MONEY. I've already started the midnight fretting about our trip to Arizona at Christmas time-- how will Natalie travel? How much will the rental car cost? How much will I have to work while I'm there? Where will Natalie be sleeping there, now that she's outgrown the crib? Yes, I understand it's over TWO MONTHS away, but it's never too soon to fret about it. If I start the fretting now, it's possible I'll come up with solutions to some of the issues. At least that's my theory.

No comments: