Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Today was meet-the-teacher day at Nan's preschool. It was great-- gave her a chance to see her new classroom, meet the kind ladies who are in charge of her classroom, and see the other kids. Her beloved friend E was there; I had been concerned, because I didn't see her mom at the parent orientation, but they were there today, even though Nan really didn't seem to notice her. It's funny-- she spent the whole summer asking when she'd get to see E again, and today I don't think she even played with her. I was sorry to see one mom there. This woman goes to our church (the preschool is affiliated with our church), and her son is about four months older than Nan. Her son is something of a nightmare-- super aggressive, prone to crazy tantrums when he doesn't get his way, very uncooperative-- and his mom completely ignores his bad behavior. I was really hoping he wouldn't be in Nan's class, but it looks like he will be there. I was glad to see the teacher gently reprimand him when he grabbed a toy away from another kid, as his mom wasn't really paying attention to what was happening. I know it's common for kids at this age to grab-- heck, Nan just grabbed a train from another kid at the library yesterday-- but my concern is with the fact that his mom doesn't try to stop the behavior or correct it when it occurs. Ah, well, baby's first bully experience is just around the corner, I think. Ok. Time to take off the judgemental mommy hat. Overall, I was really happy with our morning. She had a lot of fun playing with the new toys, and she enjoyed talking to the other kids. I did find a few moms to chat with, and I think I might have made a connection with one mom in particular. It's so hard to make other mom friends-- it's like dating all over again. You don't know if you should give the other mom your number-- are you coming on too strong? It's ridiculous and crazymaking, just so you can find someone to talk to at the playground on a regular basis. I found myself second-guessing my outfit as I dressed this morning, 'cause you gotta look cool for the other moms. Sigh. The best part is Nan will be at school on Friday, for the WHOLE MORNING. They will feed her LUNCH. And then they will send her home EXHAUSTED, so she'll sleep allllll afternoon. I love school.

No comments: